Monday 14 December 2009

Garlic

One of our most successful crops this year was garlic. It was also the first time we grew it. We planted in November last year a winter variety, and a spring variety early this year. In my absences over the past few weeks, David has planted another crop of winter garlic.

We have, admittedly, not been 100% successful with growing garlic. I planted some of the winter variety in pots on the wall in our garden in London. Though they grew, the bulbs they produced were tiny. I suspect the soil quality was poor. I therefore never bothered to harvest them and my plan was to pit all the contents of the pots onto the compost heap. I am now having second thoughts. I spotted this morning that all the garlic was growing. I'll leave them to continue growing but will add some compost to the pots.
---
Sent via BlackBerry

No comments: