Wednesday 1 February 2012

Sunbathing foxes and productive hens

Fox on shed Jan 12

I still have a house and garden in London from my days when I used to work there. I was there over the weekend and spotted this fox sun bathing on the roof of our garden shed. I quickly got out my camera, put on an appropriate lens and captured this picture. We are used to having foxes there and we often see fox cubs in the garden during the late spring and summer. Had this photo been taken on my allotment back home in Sunniside, in the North East of England, I would have been a bit less relaxed. Foxes and hens don't go well together, in my opinion, though the fox may beg to differ. We know there are some foxes near our village but so far we have not experienced any problems since getting the hens.

Talking of which, our girls laid 102 eggs for us during January. Productive little ladies they are turning into. It meant I was met by a large quantity of eggs in our kitchen when I got back from London.

2 comments:

magratmadcat said...

Love the picture! He looks very comfortable up there. I am celebrating today as I've had my first '2 egg' day! I have two pet chooks, and one took ages to start laying. Just as she started, the other one stopped for a bit, but today they both laid an egg! Yay! Not quite 102, though......!

Camilla Stacey said...

Hi there,

I'm Camilla from the Waltons Shed blog team. We're producing an article at the moment about unexpected animal visitors to sheds, and would like to use a quote and image of the fox on a shed roof from this page.

We will of course credit and link to you.

I hope that's ok - if you have any questions please just drop me a line.

I'll be sure to let you know when the article's published.

Kind regards,

Camilla