Friday 2 November 2012

High in a hedge

Ivy hedge Nov 12

Yesterday I wrote that the productivity of our hens had gone down recently. I put some of this down to hens moulting and the seasons. Well, this morning, I noticed one of my hens emerge from the ivy hedge next to the entrance to the chicken run. Curiosity got the better of me so I took a look at where she had been and found this:
Hen nest Nov 12

A hens' nest containing 4 eggs. It doesn't explain the whole reason for the drop in egg output and maybe I need to check other hedges, however, it does partly explain why previously it appeared that 14 hens were producing only 7 eggs a day.

1 comment:

elfriide tramm said...

i think it's really good and valuable what you are doing on your allotment! really! i am thinking of taking hens for couple of years already, but we can't keep them over winter without a warm house for them as sometimes it get's -25C and hens can't survive that.