Thursday 28 August 2014

Redcurrant, rhubarb and apple jam



This is another creation from produce for which I traded recently. The redcurrants came from swaps at Whitley Bay, the rhubarb was brought into our community cafe on Sunday (we paid a box of eggs for it) and the apples came from my friend's garden in North Wales which we picked whilst on holiday earlier this month (they didn't want the apples and let me pick as many as we could carry back).



I used roughly equal quantities of redcurrants, rhubarb and apple which was boiled up in the preserving pan. I added only a small amount of water to start with, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan to stop the fruit from burning.

Once the contents had pulped, I added an amount of sugar equal to the weight of the contents. The pan was put on a rolling boil until the setting point was reached.



Because of the redcurrants and rhubarb, this is a slightly sharp jam.

No comments: